Maywood Academy Library
SUMMER READING June 6 – August 6, 2022
Los Angeles Public Library Summer Reading Program
"There are so many ways to express yourself! We invite you to use your voice this summer in your own creative way—art, poetry, music, dance, writing, photography, cooking, gardening, community activism, even skateboarding!"
Every book has the potential to help us learn and grow as individuals. As we use our imagination to create the images of the story in our mind, we awaking parts of our brains that might have been resting.
Time to find a book, check it out, and spend some time reading. Your brain will thank you!
You can request this on their preference sheets. Read the full description below and click the button Library practice application to apply.
Library Practice is -
College and career readiness:
- Customer service/workforce development – completing clerical tasks for librarian, office staff and counselors
- Preparation for entry-level library clerkship with LAPL: understanding the operation and organization of a library.
- literacy skills (Fiction)
- numeracy skills (Non--fiction)
- Trouble shoot technology problems – hardware and software (blog, library website/online course, apps (flipgrid for book reviews, nearpod for class lessons))
- Use information effectively to accomplish a specific purpose
- Using digital library to access information, develop research skills by evaluating so evaluate information and its sources critically
- Online courses – Career Exploration & Courses on Everfi
- Personal management skills to complete weekly tasks such as cleaning and organizing shelf assignments, and completion of online self-paced courses.
- Take responsibility for decision and actions and accept consequences of decisions and actions.
- Maintaining professional interactions with staff and students.
Creating an inviting culture in the library:
- Assisting with preparing of library events like Banned Book week, Book Tasting, Guest Authors, and Reading Competitions
- Assisting with keeping library organized which help keep the library open and accessible for patrons
- Provides a student’s prospect and voice when developing events for students and deciding on book collection development.
Developing a spirit of service learning:
- Being of assistance to staff as needed.
- Working as a team to complete tasks.
- Being a part of the community and promoting the importance of reading, not only on campus but also at Nueva Vista Elementary school by reading to the students during BIC.